Sunday 27 January 2013

To shop or not to shop, that is the question ...

First things first: I found some hair mousse! I can't tell you how excited I am about that as I was starting to worry about the size of frizz slowly developing on my head, which isn't exactly the coolest (talking temperature not fashion) thing to be wearing!!

As per usual I am few days behind on writing this blog, so I am going to go back to last Monday, when I was still in Vietnam. We had just left Hue (pronounced "Huey") and on our way to Hoi An (pronounced "best place for shopping").

We had three nights and four days in this town and the weather was hot and sunny and we planned to make the most of all of it!

On our way down we stopped off at a beach resort to have a quick swim in the Ocean. I changed into my swimming cossie and ran along the warm sand, giggling into the blue South Indian Ocean. I got in as far as up to my knees before I quickly turned round and made a hasty retreat out of the freezing cold water back up towards were Karen was sat under an umbrella keeping an eye on our belongings.

Before I managed to reach my little travel companion I was accosted by a lady of mature years asking if I would like a back massage. I politely declined the offer and she kept on insisting as I kept on refusing. The out of nowhere a younger woman approached me with a basket fill of beaded jewellery asking me to buy some. I politely declined and she kept on insisting. Finally I agreed to take a look and she carefully placed the basket down at her feet on the warm sand.

I crouched down to take a closer look at her wares and the elderly lady kindly slipped a little stool under my bottom for me to sit on. I smiled as I made myself comfortable and said thank you to her and the next thing I knew, my back and shoulders were being pummelled by her boney fingers while the young girl and her brother dangled various bracelets under my nose and started slipping them on my wrists.

Ten minutes and £10 later I was walking on up the beach wearing a strange looking wooden bracelet and some very relaxed shoulders.

We arrived at the Hoi An Golf hotel about an hour later and Sam(bo) took us into town. The first thing we noticed was that the streets were much safer to cross! Although busy, the whole place seemed calmer and friendlier. And practically every shop was a tailor's or shoemaker's!! Apparently, if a shop doesn't have what you want, they can take your measurements and have it made up within 24 hours!

By the end of the day I had bought two pashminas and was having a coat made at a total cost of £30!

The following day was spent on the beach, typically though it was the only day to be cloudy and extremely windy. But we, (Caroline, Jamilla, Nicola, Andrea and Myself) were all determined to have a good time relaxing. We laid there pretending it was really warm, or at least that it would be at any moment until eventually I declared that even my goosebumps were complaining and so we went for lunch. After eating what can only be described as an unappetising meal, Caroline and I went off to the toilet. (You know us ladies have to go in pairs), where we had the delight of meeting Roland Rat and his wife on the way out of the kitchen!!

We both screamed and agreed it was time to get the others, leave the beach and go shopping, but not before stopping off at 'the best bakery in town' for a cup of tea and a huge slice of cake - each!

That evening I returned to the hotel about a stone heavier and with a new dress being made for my sisters up coming wedding.

It was our final day in Hoi An and the weather was gloriously hot! A few of us gathered together and mooched around town, going for final fittings and a little bit of sight seeing. That evening I returned to the hotel having arranged for yet another dress to be made!

With only a few hours left in Hoi An, I knew I had to get out of this place fast, I was becoming addicted! Those that know me well, will also know how much I usually loath shopping. So this was totally out of character for me and getting out of hand. I had to do something drastic, but what? Oh screw that, there is only one thing I can do and that is to go and buy myself a large bag, big enough to put all my new purchases in and more! Saigon here I come ...


1 comment:

  1. Enjoying reading your blog! Chipp and I sold our motorbike to a local fisherman in Hoi An after riding up from the Mekong. We also left with a big bag of clothes!I hope you find southern hospitality in Saigon. We spent many a happy weekend there x

    ReplyDelete