Thursday 10 January 2013

River deep, Temple high ...

Sunday 6th of Jan and it began with our first early breakfast of the trip - back at 'The Darling', then we met up with the rest of our group, where I was surprised to find that I actually remembered everyone's names!

Sam(bo) arrived and we set off on a short walk to Bangkok's river; the Mae Nam Chao Phraya. My little ginger haired travel companion can't swim and is therefore understandably 'slightly' nervous when travelling on water and I watched as the blood rapidly drained from her already pale face, as she caught sight of the long tail boat we were about to board.

But she was very brave, took a deep breath and climbed on board with the rest of us and threw on the life jacket.

The boats little engine started up and we made our way along Thailand's main river, passing various shacks of all shapes, sizes and conditions.

Moored up outside one was the Seven Eleven boat, filled to the brim with its usual wares! And as we trundled along on our way, I turned to Karen to check she was ok - she was smiling! Teeth gritted tightly, but she was smiling.
Views along the river.

 After our jaunt along the river we were taken up to see The Reclining Buddha over at Wat Pho. This particular Temple (Wat), is the oldest and largest in Bangkok and The Reclining Buddha is the largest one in Thailand. It is supposed to be the final pose that Buddha was in before passing away and travelling through to Nirvana.

 And as I looked up and along at this huge golden statue smiling down at me, I couldn't help thinking what huge feet he had!












The atmosphere was very serene and I paid my 10 baht for 180 coins and joined the line of people as we each threw one coin into 180 pots lined up along the wall towards the door. And with each coin thrown, I had to make a wish. Trying to think of 180 wishes was really starting to stress me out and I was being ushered along by the line of 'wishers' behind me, which made me panic that I would start thinking bad things about them all and then what would happen if those wishes came true! I became so worried that by my final 20 pots, at least, I felt it was safer just to wish for world peace!

From Wat Pho we returned to the hotel with a couple of hours to spend before catching our over night train to Chiang Mai and so I went for a pedicure! As one does ...

'Interesting' would be the best way to describe it ... She soaked my feet in a washing up bowl, clipped my toenails to within an inch of their life, cut all my cuticles completely off, then painted my nails with out using either base or top coat, after which she looked up at me properly for the first time and said "Thank you, goodbye".

I paid my 200 baht - £4.10 - and left.

The over night train to Chiang Mai was one I was looking forward to with a touch of trepidation after my experiences in India! But I have to say I was totally in shock to find them not only comfortable and roomy, but clean and untainted by any sounds of flatulence or phlegm!

After an excellent dinner of soup and stir fried vegetables and noodles, I climbed up onto my top bunk, pulled the curtain across and laid back to watch some Tv on my iPad before trundling off to sleep.


Marco Polo stands firm at one of the gateways in Wat Pho
One of the many Buddhas lining the courtyard at Wat Pho














1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're still having a good time....You know what they say about Buddha's with huge feet.....they have huge...sandals! You haven't mentioned your fellow travellers...spill the beans xx Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete