Friday 13 January 2017

Goodbye snow, as off to Heathrow we go ...

And so it is that time of year again, although I admit slightly later than my usual time, to write my travel blog. So much so, that I've actually had to experience this thing called 'snow' that we have over here in the UK!


Firstly I must apologise for not finishing last years blog in the Philippines. My reason is quite valid: I was utterly and completely knackered! Never in my last 6 years of touring have I experienced such pain and exhaustion! Don't get me wrong, it was thoroughly worth it but by the end of each day I could just about lift my arms to sip a cup of tea let alone type my blog. Profuse apologies and I hope to make it up to you this year.


2016 was quite a milestone year, least of all because I turned ... 50! And rather than shy away from the fact that I had turned a half a century, I decided to celebrate in style with a 'Fifty Shades of Ginger' party. And boy did we celebrate! Friends and family came from near and far, all in various 'ginger-guises' from Scotsmen in kilts, to Vikings with spangenhelms (yes I did have to look that up), there were giant Irish leprechauns, a Ginger- Ninja, Fiona the Ogre princess, Ariel the mermaid and more besides.




The rest of the year whizzed by: we Brexited, Andy Murray won Wimbledon and my South London Geezer became a North London Chappie! (Though he's still embarrassed to admit that he has moved to the finer side of our capital city).


New Year came and went as TC and I prepared for our annual Winter Adventure. For those of you new to my blog, I should explain that my little irrepressible buddy likes to remain anonymous for reasons known only to herself. And so it was decided (by me) that she would here by be known as my 'Travel Companion' or TC for short.


As per usual she has promised me that she will not be as neurotic or OCD as she usually is and I have promised not to be so irritable and exasperated with her as I usually am. But those of you who have followed my blog over the last six years will know how that is going to pan out!?


And where are we off to this year? I hear you ask. Well it's back to South East Asia and to a country we have both been wanting to visit for a long time now .... the wondrous Myanmar (formerly known as Burma). 


Having both agreed that last years trip was wondrous but too challenging for our ageing bodies, we wanted to try for one which involved less climbing of volcanoes and mountains and with slightly more luxurious hotels. Yes SAGA did cross our minds - very quickly - as we are now in that age bracket (with ten more years to our free bus passes) but we settled on a well known company called Exodus.


And so with my bags finally packed and my boarding pass printed out, I will bid you all goodnight, for in less than five hours time, this little Ginger will be on her way to the road to Mandalay. See you all in Yangon ...







1 comment:

  1. Is was wondering what happened to the Indonesian saga, I thought I had just missed it. Bon voyage. Look forward to your adventure. Happy 50s I'm 2 years into it and well, it's overated. Haha��

    ReplyDelete